I have experienced trauma due to sexual violence, and I need an accommodation from my housing provider so that I can stay in my apartment. How do I ask for one? - The Network
Category: Survivor Housing
  • Survivors of sexual violence have often experienced trauma and may have lingering medical conditions or disabilities as a result of that trauma. You can ask for a reasonable accommodation if you need a change in the rules in order to equally use your apartment.  Fair housing laws require that housing providers make reasonable accommodations to allow a person with a disability equal opportunity to use and enjoy their dwelling. In addition, fair housing laws also require a housing provider to engage in a dialogue about reasonable accommodation requests to reach a mutually acceptable reasonable accommodation.
  • Your requested accommodation must be reasonable and necessary, and you may need to support it with a note or call from a medical provider. The requested accommodation needs to have a connection to the issue that the person with a disability is experiencing. Accommodation requests can be made orally or in writing, but it is best to do it in writing to prevent any misunderstandings.