Website Sarah's Inn
Sarah’s Inn is a community-based non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the lives of those affected by domestic violence and to break the cycle of violence for future generations. Our services and initiatives focus on ending relationship violence through domestic violence crisis intervention, community education, and violence prevention programs for youth.
Job Title: Community Advocate (Housing & Proviso)
Reports To: Community Advocacy Program Supervisor
FLSA status: Exempt/Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 – $47,500.00 per year
Position Summary: Provide counseling, advocacy and direct service to victims of domestic violence and their families including crisis intervention, emotional support, safety planning, general and legal advocacy, referral, domestic violence education and support and education group services. In addition, develop partnerships with community programs and alliances to provide education and build widespread support for victims and their families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
Provide comprehensive and quality services to victims of domestic violence and their families (includes children and teen witnesses).
- Provide on-going counseling and emotional support to victims of domestic violence and their families through in-person individual sessions and group sessions.
- Provide crisis intervention, general and legal advocacy, referral, domestic violence education, safety planning, and emotional support for victims of domestic violence and their families over the phone or in-person.
- Complete training on the Coordinated Entry System and how to utilize it to access housing services for clients.
- Work with Sarah’s Inn staff to enter their clients into the Coordinated Entry System.
- Organize and prioritize daily services and responsibilities to ensure that client needs are met.
- Advocate on behalf of victims of domestic violence and their families within various systems to include social service, housing, economic, legal, health care and education.
- Ensure professional relationships with clients to create an atmosphere of empathy, safety and support.
- Maintain accurate and current information regarding issues and policies impacting clients and their families.
- Design, plan and facilitate support and education groups.
- Update and enhance knowledge of community resources and materials relevant to the clients we serve.
- Coordinate responsibilities with team members to ensure client needs are met.
- Update client files in a timely and accurate manner.
- Update client case notes and service codes in a timely and accurate manner.
- Achieve productivity expectations pertaining to service hours and caseload.
- Maintain knowledge of internal organizational guidelines and protocols.
- Work effectively with Intervention interns and volunteers.
- Participate in the on-call rotation for crisis line in order to support crisis line volunteers and clients.
Build and enhance community relationships.
- Partner with homeless and domestic violence programs (including Housing Forward) to assist with screening for domestic violence and to support those impacted through advocacy and case management.
- Develop partnerships with homelessness prevention and domestic violence programs in West Suburban Cook County to grow referrals to Sarah’s Inn’s services.
- Support the Community Advocacy Program Supervisor in maintaining a relationship with Casa Esperanza in Melrose Park and providing services on location.
- Represent the organization with professionalism at community meetings and events, and demonstrate diplomacy and tact in all interactions with various system representatives and community partners.
- Participate and provide leadership on various external committees, task forces, and councils as assigned.
- Collaborate with other community and county agencies on behalf of the clients we serve.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with community programs that are in line with the mission of Sarah’s Inn.
Educate community members and professionals about domestic violence and Sarah’s Inn services.
- Provide community education presentations and professional trainings.
- Participate in community awareness events.
- Provide internal training to staff, volunteers, and interns.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Location: Sarah’s Inn’s main office in Forest Park, Casa Esperanza in Melrose Park, and possibly various Housing Forward locations throughout the Western suburbs.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA degree and/or equivalent experience required
- One year or more experience providing direct service advocacy on behalf of victims of domestic violence and their families preferred.
- One year or more experience providing counseling, advocacy, and/or case management services to families (volunteer and internship experiences included).
- Completion of an Illinois Certified 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training preferred or required to complete within two months of employment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Fluency in Spanish, oral and written, required.
- Demonstrated computer experience.
- Knowledge of victims’, children and youth issues specifically related to domestic violence.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle a variety of tasks, and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of people, including but not limited to board members, staff, volunteers, interns, government officials, community partners, organizational donors and media.
- Commitment to and experience in working with people from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours.
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable car with current insurance.
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Integrity & Ethics – models SAI Vision, Mission & Values
- Customer Focus – demonstrates commitment to customer
- Collaboration & Teamwork – embraces an inclusive workplace
- Quality – produces quality work product
- Innovation/Continuous Improvement – finds new and better ways of doing things
- Job Knowledge – demonstrates a clear understanding of and executes roles and responsibilities
- Time Management/Productivity – manages time and resources effectively
- Problem Solving/Decision Making – demonstrates proper judgment, problem solving and decision making
- Independence/Initiative – works with little or no supervision and seeks out new work
- Communication – effectively communicates
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
- Annual performance evaluation
- Attainment of annual goals established between supervisor and incumbent
Sarah’s Inn’s Compensation Package Currently Includes: BlueCross BlueShield Health Insurance for Individuals and Families (HMO and PPO Options Available); Disability and Life Insurance Policies; Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance and Retirement Plan Available; 15 Days of Vacation and 10 Days of Sick Time Off Per Year
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and desired salary to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please denote in the subject line: Applying for the Community Advocate (Housing & Proviso) position.
To apply for this job please visit sarahsinn.org.