Website Sarah's Inn
Sarah’s Inn is a community-based non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the lives of those affected by domestic violence and to break the cycle of violence for future generations. Our services and initiatives focus on ending relationship violence through domestic violence crisis intervention, community education, and violence prevention programs for youth.
Job Title: Community Educator
Department: Training & Education
Reports To: Training & Education Program Supervisor
Position Summary: The Community Educator is responsible for supporting the goals of the Training and Education Department and supporting community education and outreach activities that assist in meeting the goals of the Training and Education Department and Sarah’s Inn. The Community Educator reports to the Training & Education Program Supervisor and will also work cross collaboratively across the agency’s departments – Intervention, Prevention, and Development – and manage community volunteers (outreach volunteers, Board of Directors & Associate Board of Directors, committee members, etc.).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Along with Training & Education team, develop and implement annual trainings as outlined in the Training & Education Annual Workplan.
- Support the marketing to community members and professionals to participate in annual trainings, including but not limited to DVAT, PAIP and CEU trainings.
- Coordinate and participate in community awareness events, outreach activities and presentations. Collaborate with agency’s other department staff, in particular Community Advocates, to develop and strengthen community partnerships.
- Along with the Training & Education Program Supervisor, develop and implement the agency’s community education activities; develop/evaluate series content and manage relationships with community partners to host presentations.
- In collaboration with the Training & Education Supervisor, provide trainings in line with the agency’s Strategic Plan and the goals and objectives of the Training and Education Department on a wide variety of topics such as trauma, toxic masculinity, substance abuse, screening and identification of domestic violence, and the intersectionality of domestic violence with other forms of oppression.
- Create social media content around community education about domestic violence, including social media posts, podcasts and blogs. Work in collaboration with the Development Department to schedule and post content on Sarah’s Inn’s social media platforms and website.
- Manage and coordinate the development of the agency’s podcasts and blog, and utilize agency and staff expertise for content and implementation.
- Collaborate with the Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator to recruit volunteers for outreach activities throughout the year.
- Coordinate community outreach activities that support the strategic goals of the agency in partnership with agency staff/interns and community outreach volunteers. Manage and supervise agency community outreach volunteers and/or interns.
- Support and help implement Domestic Violence Awareness/Action Month (October) activities.
- Collaborate with Prevention Department to support and implement Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month (February) activities and outreach.
- Provide administrative support for the Training and Education Department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA degree and/or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience in training/facilitating with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in public speaking, training, and curriculum development.
- Experience working in community collaborations.
- Experience in providing services to victims of Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault preferred.
- Experience with Social Media content and design.
- Fluency in Spanish, oral and written, required.
- Completion of the Domestic Violence Advocacy Training (DVAT) preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with a wide variety of people including but not limited to: board members, staff, volunteers, interns, government officials, community partners, and organizational donors.
- Excellent communication, organizational and writing skills.
- Ability to problem-solve and make decisions individually and/or within a team.
- Ability to prioritize, handle a variety of tasks and be self-directed.
- Commitment to and experience in working with people from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Ability to work various shifts, including evening and weekend hours.
- Valid driver’s license, current insurance and reliable car.
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Integrity & Ethics – models Organization’s Vision, Mission & Values
- Collaboration & Teamwork – embraces an inclusive workplace
- Innovation/Continuous Improvement – finds innovative ways of executing work
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise – demonstrates a clear understanding of and executes roles and responsibilities
- Time Management/Productivity/Accountability – manages time and resources effectively
- Problem Solving/Decision Making – demonstrates proper judgment, problem solving and decision making
- Communication – effectively communicates
- Colleague Development – provides guidance, encouragement and feedback to subordinates for professional growth
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Annual performance evaluation
- Attainment of annual goals established between supervisor and employee
Sarah’s Inn’s Compensation Package Currently Includes: BlueCross BlueShield Health Insurance for Individuals and Families (HMO and PPO Options Available); Disability and Life Insurance Policies; Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance and Retirement Plan Available; 15 Days of Vacation and 10 Days of Sick Time Off Per Year
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and desired salary to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please denote in the subject line: Applying for the Community Educator position.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $42,000.00 – $45,000.00 per year
To apply for this job please visit sarahsinn.org.