Website Metropolitan Family Services
Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 136,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are now hiring for a full-time Staff Attorney to join our DuPage Domestic Violence Team!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides legal consultations, brief services, and extended representation to MFS-DuPage domestic violence shelter residents and clients in domestic relations and orders of protection cases.
- Interviews clients; identifies and analyzes legal problems; researches issues; advises clients of options and provides legal advice, often under stressful conditions.
- Advocates and negotiates with adverse parties to favorably resolve cases for clients. Communicates with opposing attorneys, judicial officers, government officials and others as necessary. Supervision may vary depending on complexity of issues. In constant communication with large number of clients.
- Prepares and uses legal documents, discovery materials, agreements and court pleadings in consultation with direct supervisor.
- Represents clients in litigation proceedings under direction of immediate supervisor. Uses discretion and resourcefulness in handling routine cases. Using independent judgment, makes tactical decisions in courtroom settings. Prepares clients and witnesses for trial.
- Handles full caseload of varying complexity. Learns case handling strategy and availability of resources in area of legal specialty.
- May assist in supervising law students and volunteers.
- Identifies and brings to supervisor’s attention systemic issues affecting clients and communities.
- Participates in educational and public relations activities relating to the Legal Aid Society and Metropolitan Family Services and serves on program and/or agency-wide committees as needed.
- Inputs data and notes regarding work done and outcomes achieved in a timely manner.
- Works effectively with diverse staff and service population.
- Juris Doctor AND active member of the Illinois Bar required OR admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois.
- Attorneys who primarily serve victims of domestic violence must, upon hire, enroll for training and receive a 40-Hour Domestic Violence Certification within 12 weeks of employment.
- Employment with MFS requires proof of vaccination or an approved Medical exemption, required.
- Experience with aiding victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and family abuse.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent verbal/written communication and research skills, and computer competency required.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Ability to respond to large numbers of clients in a professional and empathetic manner.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups and build community partnerships. Must collaborate with other legal, social, and behavioral health professionals.
- Ability to collaborate with other professionals to provide
- Courtroom, trial advocacy and negotiation skills required.
- Must have access to a vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance to perform essential job functions, required.
MFS staff are required to provide proof of vaccination or have an approved Medical exemption prior to starting employment. IF approved Medical exemption is obtained, weekly testing is required.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 11 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.