Website Metropolitan Family Services
Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 136,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are currently searching for a full-time Bilingual Staff Attorney to join our Domestic Violence Team team!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides brief services, legal advice, and extended representation to survivors of domestic violence in pre-decree and post-decree divorce matters primarily in Chicago, and throughout Cook County as needed.
- Interviews clients; using complex analytical and research skills, identifies legal problems; advises clients of options and provides legal advice, often under stressful conditions. Prepares and uses legal documents, discovery material, agreements, and court pleadings
- Advocates and negotiates with adverse parties to favorably resolve cases for clients. Communicates with opposing attorneys, judicial officers, government officials and others as necessary. Only complex cases require direct supervision. In constant communication with a large number of clients.
- Prepares and tries routine cases without supervision. Using independent judgment makes tactical decisions in courtroom settings. Prepares clients and witnesses for trial, depositions, and other proceedings.
- Handles full caseload of varying complexity. Familiar with case handling strategy and availability of judicial and non-judicial resources in area of legal specialty.
- Ensures that all case notes and timekeeping are entered into client database accurately and promptly.
- Identifies and brings to supervisor’s attention systemic issues affecting clients and communities.
- Provides consultation and support to agency staff in area of specialization.
- Assists in training community partners and other attorneys and paralegals. May supervise law students, paralegals, and volunteers.
- Participates in educational and public relations activities relating to the Legal Aid Society and Metropolitan Family Services and serves on program and/or agency-wide committees as needed.
- Works effectively with diverse staff and service population.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Law Degree and admission to the Illinois Bar, or ability to gain admission to Illinois Bar upon hire, required.
- Employment with MFS requires proof of vaccination or an approved Medical exemption, required.
- Demonstrated background or interest in public interest law, domestic violence law, or family law.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly developed case management skills, including timekeeping.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Must be able to respond to large numbers of clients in a professional and empathetic manner.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups and build community partnerships.
- Must collaborate with other legal, social, and behavioral health professionals.
- Courtroom, trial advocacy, and negotiation skills required.
- All attorneys who serve victims of domestic violence must, upon hire, enroll for training and receive a 40-Hour Domestic Violence Certification within 12 weeks of employment.
MFS staff are required to provide proof of vaccination or have an approved Medical exemption prior to starting employment. If an approved Medical is obtained, weekly testing is required.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ health savings contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 12 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Flexible Spending
- Opportunities for Student Loan Forgiveness
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan
- E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.