Website Life Span
Life Span is seeking to fill our Community Resource Counselor position based at the Des Plaines office. Life Span empowers survivors of domestic and sexual violence to demand safety as a human right through client-centered services and leads social change through accountability, community engagement, and systemic advocacy.
Life Span is a nationally known leader in the provision of services to victims of violence and their children. We are a financially secure organization with over 40 years of consistent and reliable funding. Our comprehensive services include criminal court advocacy, representation in civil protective order cases, expert representation in family law cases, immigration services and counseling for survivors and their children. Our work encompasses such issues as police domestic violence, immigration, employment issues, sexual assault civil no contact orders, the effects of trauma on clients and their children, teen dating violence, and the criminalization of survivors. Our agency has two sites, and services are available in nine languages including English, Spanish, Polish and Arabic. All services are free of charge. Our agency provides national leadership in policy work and systemic advocacy, and our staff has trained advocates, lawyers, judges, counselors and other professionals in Illinois and across the country on critical issues and innovative practices.
Life Span values diversity—in strengths, backgrounds and lived experiences. It is essential that our staff and leadership reflect the communities that we serve. We are committed to creating an anti-oppression organizational framework and seek candidates who share this commitment.
· Provides information to staff and clients of Life Span about community resources available to victims of domestic and sexual violence and their children.
· Identifies providers of material resources necessary for victims to achieve safety planning goals.
· Develops community contacts with partner agencies to facilitate client referrals.
· Provides advocacy support and education to clients regarding options for services.
· Ensures that there are seamless, effective, and appropriate linkages to other agencies and resources for our clients.
· Monitors support services, information and referrals.
· Participates in community outreach and education and cooperates with other social service providers in community collaborations.
· Advocates on behalf of clients through phone calls, coordination of services on behalf of the clients.
· Reassess and revise service plan as needed, including follow-up with clients to assess for additional services.
· Bachelor’s Degree in social work, psychology, counseling or related field, or equivalent work experience in social services setting.
· Master’s degree preferred.
· Minimum one year of personal or professional experience in workforce development or public benefits.
· Bilingual fluency in language besides English highly encouraged to apply.
· Good organizational, time management, and cross-cultural communication skills.
· Access to a motor vehicle that is insured as required under Illinois state law.
Compensation: Generous benefits package, competitive salary dependent upon experience.
Please send resume and cover letter via email to Laura Valiukenas, Director of Counseling at email@example.com.
No Telephone Calls.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org