Supervised by: Client Support Manager
The Public Benefits Enrollment Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the delivery of services related to applying for and maintaining public benefits, including but not limited to VTTC benefits. The Coordinator ensures that their work is the highest quality, performed efficiently and equitably.
In addition to the annual salary listed, Ascend Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance (lowest level 100% employer paid), dental insurance (employer paid), short- and long-term disability (employer paid), and life insurance (employer paid), 12 weeks paid parental leave. We also offer options for 401k and Roth 401k retirement accounts and have the option to make employer contributions at year end.
All employees who work onsite in an Ascend Justice office are required to show proof of full and up to date vaccination against COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. An individual is fully vaccinated and up to date when they have received all CDC-recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.
Ascend Justice’s offices are currently operating on a hybrid working schedule (in office/work from home). The schedule for this position will be determined as the position is filled and based on current agency needs.
- File public benefits applications primarily for different immigrant groups and mixed status families.
- As an IDHS representative help clients communicate with IDHS office.
- File public benefits renewals, any verifications of information forms, and changes of address.
- Provide accompaniment to public aid offices as needed.
- File IDHS appeals as needed.
- Help with Medicaid enrollment questions as needed.
- Maintain strong communication with clients of Ascend Justice across all divisions.
- Deliver all services according to principles of trauma-informed care.
- Maintain client files, opening and closing case according to agency procedures.
- Record all client communications in Legal Server.
- Translate/interpret for clients and attorneys as needed.
- Actively participate in required staff meetings, trainings.
- Keep abreast of the field by maintaining networks, participating in professional organizations.
- Protect the organization by keeping information confidential.
- Perform other duties as assigned by client support manager.
- Courthouse and offices are fully accessible. Some work at off-site locations may be required and those may not necessarily be fully accessible.
- Evening and weekend work may occasionally be required.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners.
- Employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 40 pounds.
- Smoke- and drug-free environment.
- Ascend Justice is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Ascend Justice does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Ascend Justice is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
- 2 years relevant experience or education preferred
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/English required
- Have some knowledge or experience with public benefits regulations and requirements, including public charge rules
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds who are in crisis
- Must have completed or be willing to complete 40 hour Domestic Violence training
- Knowledge of or experience with working with survivors of gender-based or intimate partner violence
- Familiarity with principles of trauma-informed care and willingness to complete additional training
- Sensitive listener with ability to explain complex concepts
- Ability to communicate effectively with people in crisis
- Strong self-motivation and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Basic computer and office skills, including proficiency with the Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work in fast-paced legal environment
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Sense of humor
Annual salary (commensurate with experience): $52,000-$62,000
Please email cover letter and resume to Lauren Schroeder (she/her) at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org